Bunt Defense One
Runners on 1st & 2nd
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
• 3rd baseman charges in
• SS covers 3rd
• 2nd baseman covers 2nd
• 1st baseman covers 1st
• Catcher covers home plate
• Pitcher covers 1st base side
• RF backs up throws to 1st
• CF backs up throws to 2nd
• LF backs up throws to 3rdDefensive Design:
• Try to get the lead runner out
Get out at first if it is not possible to get the lead runner.
If the 3rd Baseman fields the ball he will probably want to take the force out at first base.
• The 3rd baseman will probably not be able to pivot around and make an accurate throw in time to third base to get the lead runner.
• Unless the ball is bunted hard down the third baseline.
If the pitcher fields the ball he may have a shot at the lead runner since he is already facing 3rd base.
• The pitcher should make his decision quickly.
• However, if there is any hesitation
he should take the out at first base.
Submitted by: Chris Dulavitch
Sub category: Defense bunt